ICC terminates arrest warrant against Ex-LRA commander Vincent Otti following his passing

Posted on Nov 18, 2023
By LTAuthor
1,216 Views

 

The International Criminal Court on Friday terminated the arrest warrant and criminal charges against Vincent Otti, the former deputy head of the notorious Ugandan Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), as it believed he had died.

Otti was facing 32 charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity including murder, rape, forced enlistment of children, cruel treatment and pillaging.

But deserters from the LRA said as early as 2007 that LRA leader Joseph Kony had executed Otti, who had been instrumental in peace talks.

The court said it agreed with prosecutors that all available evidence indicated “that Mr. Otti was killed in a remote area of the Democratic Republic of Congo in October 2007.”

“For these reasons, the Chamber hereby terminates the proceedings against Vincent Otti. Instructs the Registrar to inform all States which were notified by of the Warrant of Arrest that it is no longer in effect. And withdraw the requests for arrest and surrender,” the notice further read.

ICC prosecutor Karim Khan said last year he wanted to revive a case against Kony, a fugitive who is also accused of more than 30 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Kony led the LRA as it terrorized Ugandans for nearly 20 years and battled the government of President Yoweri Museveni from bases in northern Uganda and neighboring countries. In recent years, it has largely been wiped out.

 



Most Popular

Recent News

  • Today
  • This Week
  • This Month


X